[j-nsp] Basic doubt on unit

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Jan 25 12:46:46 EST 2010

> Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 23:03:58 +0530
> From: Taqdir Singh <singh.taqdir at gmail.com>
> Sender: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
>
> Hi All,
>
>  I am new to juniper.l could you please share  why junos is made such like
> we must define unit (subinterface) for any configuration like ip etc ?

Because Juniper is a modern router OS and does not carry the legacy
assumptions that some types of interface must be either simple P2P or
p2MP connections. IOS dates from before the concepts that make
sub-interfaces generally available all interfaces and as a result makes
them a "special case" in a horribly convoluted configuration language.

JUNOS was designed to be consistent as possible in all cases (and it
still comes fairly close) so that the syntax can be more readily parsed,
both by JUNOS, itself, and by external tools (and people). Internally,
the configuration is really in XML, so the first things JUNOS does with
new configuration is to convert it to XML..
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)