[j-nsp] Managing MX480 fxp0

Chris Evans chrisccnpspam2 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 16:22:11 EDT 2010

Send a bitch email to juniper. I have been begging for the capability to put
the fxp into a vrf.

On Jul 7, 2010 3:53 PM, "Jim Devane" <jdevane at switchnap.com> wrote:

Hello,

I need some ideas/help on a scenario I am sure comes up a lot but having
problems with.

I have an MX480. I want to be able to manage this MX from an internal (1918)
network through the fxp0 port. The internal network is not flat but routed
and there are several subnets which may contact the MX for
management/polling. I was thinking/hoping to set up a VRF for this port and
set routes/default route for the VRF to connect. It turns out I am not able
to put fxp0 into a routing-instance. (errors on config checkout)
So I put everything production in to a logical system leaving the fxp in the
master instance and installing a default route for the master instance. This
works, but now the MS-DPC will not export flows if it is in a logical
system. So the logical system is out b/c the MS-DPC has to be in the master
instance. But I can't but the fxp0 into a logical/routing instance.

What is the BCP/recommended method for managing this box if fxp0 is not a
"public" routed interface?

Unfortunately, I don't have another port to place into a VRF besides the
fxp0 (all other ports are 10G)

Thanks for any help/ideas!
Jim