[j-nsp] Recommended sampling rates on MS-500 pic

Doan Nguyen doan_group at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 16:28:26 EDT 2010

Tim,

the difference between sampling with the PIC vs. using the RE is that with the PIC
the router sends the entire packet to the pic vs. the IP header.  With this bandwidth
to the PIC is probably more of the limiting factor for your sampling rate.  With the RE
you do not have the bandwidth issue but processor utilization to worry about.

I believe the MS500 is rated at OC48 speed so depending on packet size you will hit
bandwidth limitation first before you will packet per second.