[j-nsp] MX Capabilities - flexible-ethernet-services

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Wed Jul 21 11:33:45 EDT 2010

Hi all,
I'm currently in the process of migrating the configuration of a 6509 to an MX and I've got a question or two.  I have a customer in one of our metro rings to which we provide a Q-in-Q tunnel.  The A-side is a Q-in-Q port on a switch that is directly connected to a 6509 'switchport mode trunk' port.  The Z-side is a direct fast ethernet Q-in-Q port to our 6509.  Very simple.  My question comes in the form of whether it's possible to do this on the MX using a port-based VLAN.  Will the following configuration work?

ge-0/0/5 {
    flexible-vlan-tagging;
    encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
    unit 0 {
        description "Customer A Q-in-Q VLAN";
        encapsulation vlan-bridge;
        family bridge {
            interface-mode trunk;
            vlan-id-list 130;
        }
    }
    unit 32 {
        description Sw1-R11:Gi0/16;
        vlan-id 32;
        family inet {
            address 192.168.20.11/30;
        }
    }
}
bridge-domains {
    cid-A {
        description "P2P Q-in-Q for Customer A";
        domain-type bridge;
        vlan-id 130;
    }
}

The customer will be plugged directly into a downstream EX3200 via a Q-in-Q port.  Is this valid?  Are there any options within the bridge-domain VLAN config that need to be set properly?  Am I overly complicating matters?  Could I ask anymore questions in a single paragraph?

My overall intent is to not have to create the VLAN 32 in my bridge domain.  There is really no technical reason why it can't be done - it's just more about consistency in how all ports are configured.

Thanks,
evt