[j-nsp] J series users bitten by the massive memory useincrease with flow mode add, please file jtac cases.

Christopher E. Brown chris.brown at acsalaska.net
Wed Jul 21 16:56:40 EDT 2010

On 7/21/2010 12:34 PM, Smith W. Stacy wrote:
> On Jul 21, 2010, at 12:35 PM, Christopher E. Brown wrote:
>> On 7/20/10 10:54 PM, Leigh Porter wrote:
>>>
>>> I thought that as soon as you turn MPLS on the flow mode was diabled and you were
>>> back to good old packet mode?
>>>
>>> -- Leigh
>>
>> Is puts things in packet mode, but all of the memory pre-allocs to support flow mode
>> remain in play.
>
> The J-series software has always pre-allocated memory to the forwarding daemon. This
> was always the case, even in 7.x and 8.x software that only supported packet-mode. The
> fact that memory is still pre-allocated when you disable flow mode is not surprising.
>
> Simply looking at the memory usage with "show" commands doesn't tell the complete
> story. The real question is can the router handle a larger routing and forwarding table
> once flow mode is disabled. If the answer is "no", then I would agree that your request
> is a legitimate "feature enhancement".
>
> --Stacy

The issue is not that memory is being pre-allocated to the forwarding / flow process.
This is expected and required to function.

The issue is that when things switched to flow support the memory usage went *way* up, and
even when you convert to packet mode it is not reduced.

If adding flow support causes the forwarding daemon to grow a couple hundred megs than
going back to packet should free most of that memory.

A 1GB J that used to run with at least a few hundred megs available now has < 40 megs free...