[j-nsp] J series users bitten by the massive memory use increase with flow mode add, please file jtac cases.

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Thu Jul 22 05:11:18 EDT 2010

On 20 Jul 2010, at 23:14, Christopher E. Brown wrote:

> I know alot of us here have been bitten by this, and the fact that disabling flow mode and
> reverting to packet does not free up any of the ~ 460MB or so being eaten by fwdd/flowd is
> insane.
> I am currently having the "This is a design feature, the pre-alloc is planned" argument
> with a SE.

It's trash, we've found customers are starting to buy lower end cisco for very-small SP environments again.  Cisco 2900 is hoovering up lots of the builds that we used to use J4350/6350 for, precisely because of the added complexity and total resource of that this flow-mode presents.

> I have no issue with flow features being added, looks great for branch office use.

This trade wont come back until there is a rebuild of JUNOS sans enhanced services for J.

Pretty please with cherry on top ?

Andy