[j-nsp] J series users bitten by the massive memory useincrease with flow mode add, please file jtac cases.

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Jul 22 15:25:12 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:49:46AM -0700, Chris Whyte wrote:
> > IMO Juniper has royally screwed up in the small router/CPE market.
> > One can hope that they won't perform similar stunts on the M/MX/T
> > series.
>
> There's absolutely no reason why this would be considered. The fact
> that you would make that statement leads me to believe that people
> might not understand why the SRX product line was created in the first
> place.
>
> The entire SRX product line (branch and high-end) covers the
> performance spectrum across M and MX series but were created
> specifically as purpose-built security devices and therefore should be
> implemented as such. In addition, in order to do high-end processing
> of (stateful) flows you need dedicated and specific hw to achieve
> desired performance. That hw doesn't exist on MX and T series. It only
> exists on high-end SRX (ie SPUs).

The entire SRX product line is also a giant broken buggy piece of crap.
I believe the complaint here is that Juniper has turned what was
previously a functional working router into a broken routing firewall,
which was not what people signed up for when they bought their J-series.
I for one agree with them, I'm not a huge user of J-series but mine have
become completely unstable and unreliable even running the latest SR of
the last "classic" code that will ever be made for them. Then again, the
same thing is really pretty true of all JUNOS these days, but I miss the
days when my fwdd didn't crash every few hours.