[j-nsp] Is putting an IP on an l2circuit possible?

Mark Kamichoff prox at prolixium.com
Thu Jul 22 15:07:27 EDT 2010

Hi Jason -

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 01:49:55PM -0400, Jason Lixfeld wrote:
> I'm trying to test some C to J EoMPLS interoperability, but the only J
> box that I have doesn't have any free interfaces on it, so I have
> nowhere to connect a test CE and use the CE to ping the far end.  Is
> there any way to stick a subnet on to an l2circuit directly instead of
> having to use a physical interface and a physical CE?

I've done this on an MX by using logical routers and "lt" interfaces to
connect them.  You can specify an lt interface (with vlan-ccc encap.)
under the l2circuit configuration and assign another lt interface to a
logical router acting as the CE on the same box with vlan encapsulation
and an IP address.  Assign VLAN IDs and match up the peer-units for the
lt interfaces, and you're good to go.

That being said, this only works on the MX because it supports logical
routers and has the tunnel services PIC built-in.

You might be able to do the same thing on a J with an additional virtual
router instead of a full-blown logical router, but I haven't tried it.

- Mark

--
Mark Kamichoff
prox at prolixium.com