[j-nsp] J series users bitten by the massive memory useincrease with flow mode add, please file jtac cases.

Pavel Lunin plunin at senetsy.ru
Fri Jul 23 08:25:41 EDT 2010

Florian,
> We tried to enable MPLS (which is not really advertised as a way to
> disable flow-based processing, BTW),
You are not right. It is well documented:
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos-security/junos-security10.0/junos-security-admin-guide/secure-routing-context-chapter.html#secure-routing-context-chapter

>   but the device still couldn't
> forward our tiny amount of traffic we deal with.

IDK. We support several J in production, configured like this:
> plunin at router> show configuration security forwarding-options
> family {
>     inet6 {
>         mode packet-based;
>     }
>     mpls {
>         mode packet-based;
>     }
>     iso {
>         mode packet-based;
>     }
> }
Here is what they do.
> plunin at router> show route summary
> Autonomous system number: xxx
> Router ID: xxx
>
> inet.0: 324700 destinations, 390767 routes (153306 active, 0 holddown,
> 171394 hidden)
>               Direct:      4 routes,      4 active
>                 OSPF:      4 routes,      4 active
>                  BGP: 390753 routes, 153292 active
>            Aggregate:      3 routes,      3 active

> --- JUNOS 9.5R1.8 built 2009-04-13 19:11:52 UTC
> plunin at router> show chassis routing-engine
> Routing Engine status:
>     Temperature                 30 degrees C / 86 degrees F
>     CPU temperature             30 degrees C / 86 degrees F
>     DRAM                      1024 MB
>     Memory utilization          95 percent
>     CPU utilization:
>       User                       0 percent
>       Real-time threads         16 percent
>       Kernel                     2 percent
>       Idle                      82 percent
>     Model                          RE-J2320-2000
>     Serial ID                      xxx
>     Start time                     2010-05-04 15:08:29 MSD
>     Uptime                         80 days, 30 minutes, 28 seconds
>     Last reboot reason             0x1:power cycle/failure
>     Load averages:                 1 minute   5 minute  15 minute
>                                        0.07       0.06       0.07
Forwards upto 200 Megs. Very similar story with other boxes running
10.0R2. Not a single fwdd crash for half a year (knock on wood). Though
9.6 don't remember which release had annoyed us and the customer quite
few times until we moved to 10.0R2.

We also have a few J in a lab. Never heard packet context didn't work as
expected.

IFAIR since 9.5R2 or 9.6R2 they reduced fwdd memory appetite for a few
tens of megabytes:

> plunin at router> show chassis routing-engine
> Routing Engine status:
>     Temperature                 50 degrees C / 122 degrees F
>     CPU temperature             54 degrees C / 129 degrees F
> *    Total memory              1024 MB Max   840 MB used ( 82 percent)*
>       Control plane memory     594 MB Max   505 MB used ( 85 percent)
>       Data plane memory        430 MB Max   340 MB used ( 79 percent)
>     CPU utilization:
>       User                       3 percent
>       Real-time threads         20 percent
>       Kernel                     9 percent
>       Idle                      68 percent
>     Model                          RE-J2320-2000
>     Serial ID                      yyy
>     Start time                     2010-06-28 15:10:49 MSD
>     Uptime                         25 days, 50 minutes, 3 seconds
>     Last reboot reason             0x1:power cycle/failure
>     Load averages:                 1 minute   5 minute  15 minute
>                                        0.21       0.23       0.16

So the recent releases are a bit more efficient from this point of view.
I also recommend to turn off unwanted processes, which also consume some
memory.
> plunin at router> show configuration system processes
> idp-policy disable;
> jsrp-service disable;

The output of "show security flow sessions" I posted yesterday was also
taken from one of this boxes. It shows 0 sessions and I see no issues
with management traffic at all. Stateless FW filters work just as expected.

I am not saying all this is the most ideal solution available at the
market, but don't see much instability except customer's site power
problems.

--
Pavel