[j-nsp] The hunt for a better route reflector

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Jul 23 23:23:22 EDT 2010

On Saturday, July 24, 2010 03:38:09 am Richard A Steenbergen
wrote:

> The official answer when you ask for a standalone
> route-reflector solution is supposedly JCS, though from
> what I've been told the pricing is outrageous (it must
> be, it's not even on the price list, so I've never even
> bothered to ask :P).

Hehe, I thought about this but went... Naaaah :-). The
price, surely, must be insane.

Besides, can you run this without hooking it up to a T-
series router?

> I'm wondering if the EX-series
> external RE might be viable as a standalone RR, since it
> would have to be priced at least somewhat reasonably to
> serve in the function they're marketing it for. The
> hardware specs are certainly not terrible.
>
> http://www.juniper.net/us/en/products-services/switching/
> ex-series/options/xre200/

First thing I thought about when I saw this. But also, not
sure whether you can run this without having to hook it up
to the EX8200. If you can, it surely would be interesting,
despite all that hard drive space :-).

Cheers,

Mark.