[j-nsp] The hunt for a better route reflector

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Jul 24 01:19:16 EDT 2010

On Saturday, July 24, 2010 12:46:04 pm Richard A Steenbergen
wrote:

> http://www.juniper.net/us/en/local/pdf/app-notes/3500179-
> en.pdf

Pretty cool, and they have 16GB on those RE's too.

Will ask my account team about the price, but I could
probably only justify this in the "centre" of my network.

Across the country, smaller PoP's would need to rely on
their own clusters, and those would be the smaller routers,
i.e., 7201's.

> I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't be able to.

Let's see if my account team can price this up for us in a
route reflector role.

> You could do it with an O-series too, it just wouldn't
> be legal or officially supported. All you need is a RE
> acting as a host, it doesn't need to talk to hardware.
> Personally I'd just as soon they let me license JUNOS
> and slap it on my own fast cpu (which would probably
> cost 1/100th the price Juniper will charge me for
> standard PC hardware :P).

I think we would all love that :-).

Cheers,

Mark.