[j-nsp] MPLS in the Access

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Sun Jul 25 22:02:52 EDT 2010

On 23/07/2010, at 5:26 PM, Pavel Lunin wrote:

>> I'm a firm believer of MPLS in the Access.
>>

>> ... yes, this is way off-topic now :-).
>>

> Mark, how about to open a new thread on this?
>
> Actually, who is not a fan of MPLS access? But the question is how actually
> to build it and will it be competitive. Lots of people here in Russia
> (being  fans of MPLS access :) managed to build huge rings of something like
> 3750ME and use x-connect for everywhere. Not sure if this is what you are a
> fan of :)
>
> What is the smallest and cheapest device in your experience, which supports
> real MPLS like 2-labeled PWE3, VPLS and L3VPN? How about wire-speed
> performance for, say, 24x1GE SFP and couple of 10GE uplinks? Is it really
> competitive with other technologies? I am really interested if someone can
> share this experience. What size of network scale we talk about, which
> services it provides?

We have a significant number of customers utilising everything from the SRX100 and J2320s up to the SRX650s for this exact purpose.  Definitely not for wirespeed services, but they certainly fit the bill for L3VPN, EoMPLS and VPLS delivered over EoC, DSL, Microwave and WiMAX tails.  When you can do all of the above (except the wirespeed services bit) on an SRX100H with a sub-$1K list price - it's a pretty compelling way to do a cheap buildout with HEAPS of functionality.

Now if only Juniper would un-hide and implement the OAM functionality of the EX into the SRX, it would be perfect!