[j-nsp] Juniper MX80 IRB

Tim Vollebregt tim at interworx.nl
Mon Jul 26 12:52:14 EDT 2010

Hi All,

We have just received a Juniper MX80 and are building the configuration.
The machine is running Junos 10.2 R1.8

The issue we are experiencing is that the IRB interface seems to be not working, although it seems to be configured correctly.
Configuration:

 ge-1/0/0 {
        unit 0 {
            family bridge {
                interface-mode access;
                vlan-id 200;

irb {
        unit 200 {
            family inet {
                address x.x.x.x/27;
                address x.x.x.x/29;

bridge-domains {
    VLAN200 {
        domain-type bridge;
        vlan-id 200;
        routing-interface irb.200;

The IRB interface seems to be working as irb.200 comes up when we connect an utp to ge-1/0/0 and the routes appear in the RIB.

root at mx80# run show bridge domain VLAN200

Routing instance        Bridge domain            VLAN ID     Interfaces
default-switch          	VLAN200                  	200    	ge-1/0/0.0

There is no ARP entry of the IP configured on the other side, and on the machine on the other side we don't see the arp/mac-address of the IRB interface.

root at mx80# run show arp
MAC Address       Address         Name                      Interface           Flags
02:00:00:00:00:10 128.0.0.50      128.0.0.50                em0.0               none

Can someone please advise?

Thanks in advance.

Tim