[j-nsp] BGP advertisements not making it

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Jul 30 23:55:44 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 08:47:25PM -0700, Jim Devane wrote:
> RAS,
>
> Thanks. I just replied to Diogo. I think it may simply be a case of
> not being the best route and not advertised. I am going to track down
> where the other route is coming from and find out why it is missing
> the pass community and I am thinking at that point it will pass.

Ah, well that would do it too. If your other route is non-BGP (for
example, a static or IGP route) you can work around this by configuring
"advertise-inactive" in BGP to make it advertise the best BGP route. If
the wrong BGP route is active, you probably just need to tweak your
localprefs. :)

All my policy evaluation bugs are REALLY obscure, for example subroutine
policies which will randomly not apply any actions in any term that
doesn't contain a "then accept". I've never seen a problem with a
configuration as simple as yours.