[j-nsp] EX4200 24 SFP ports not showing

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Tue Jun 1 08:23:20 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 09:51:23PM +1000, Olof Kasselstrand wrote:
> >>On the EX-series the ports don't actually show up until you insert an
> >>optic (this is true for GE and 10GE on all EX's AFAIK). As soon as you
> >>do insert the SFP, the port will show up, and you'll start graphing it.
>
> OK, now that's confirmed =)
>
> However, I can't see the other ports with SNMP without plugging in a
> SFP. If I try to specify an ifindex (for a port without a SFP) when
> doing a snmpget I get no answer. I can specify an ifindex with for a
> port with a SFP just fine.

Correct, the port doesn't show up in SNMP or CLI at all until you insert
an optic. I can't imagine why Juniper did this, but as long as your SNMP
poller uses dynamic ifindexes you should be fine. Probably the biggest
thing it breaks is link state monitoring systems in the event someone
pulls an optic. You'll have to specifically test for an "interface not
found" condition to detect this kind of thing, which may or may not be
easy depending on how stateful your monitoring system is.