[j-nsp] GRE & Bridging, is it possible with a Juniper box ?

Will McLendon wimclend at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 09:55:58 EDT 2010

hopefully this works...first time posting to the list

one option might be to do an L2VPN or VPLS type solution where you tunnel the MPLS traffic over a GRE tunnel (only necessary if the intermediate network can't/doesn't run MPLS).  I think someone might have mentioned that previously as well.

The only problem you might run into is MTU and fragmentation related because of the extra overhead of the MPLS labels and GRE tunnel over the intermediate network.  If you leave the MTU at the defaults, packets with the DF bit set will be dropped and so far as I can tell (unless it changed with 10.0+), a J-Series or SRX can not clear the DF bit as it enters a GRE tunnel.  I think the higher end M / MX can though if you are using those.

However if you can raise the MTU of all the intermediate links, then you can alleviate that problem.

I have a config example of this working if you need one.

good luck, whichever route you choose

Will