[j-nsp] Traffic shaping on J and SRX

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+j-nsp at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 17:46:41 EDT 2010

Hi Michel,

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Michel de Nostredame
<d.nostra at gmail.com> wrote:

> Try this config. I am not sure if it could resolve your problem, but you can
> give it a try.

[.. config with 'shaping-rate' snipped ..]

That's essentially what we're running with today. Sure, shaping is
active, but how is it *really* operating?  How is the transmit rate
measured? (over what interval?)  How long can the interface transmit
for and how many bits/bytes are sent before it backs off?

On a Cisco, we have the (relatively) clearly defined concepts of 'Bc',
'Tc' and 'Be' and once one understands the formulas and how the three
values interact, one knows exactly how the shaper should behave --
i.e. how many bits are sent (Bc) per time interval (Tc) and whether
bursting above the committed rate (Bc) is possible at all, and if so,
by how much (Be).

Cheers,
Dale