[j-nsp] SYN Flood SNMP Filtering

Brad Fleming bdflemin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 16:27:15 EDT 2010

Hello all,

Is it possible to filter SNMP traps to specific hosts on an SSG-550M
running ScreenOS 6.2?

We're getting ~38K SNMP traps regarding SYN floods from all points on
the Internet to our monitoring system. The SNMP trap collection system
is not as full-featured as we'd like and cannot do the filtering on
its side. So we'd like to just avoid having the traps sent to the
monitoring system at all.. less junk for it to sort through is always
a good thing!

Alternatively, is there a way to change the severity of the SYN flood
event on the SSG? IE: SYN Floods seem to be seen as emergency events.
If we could simply make them information events, they'd never be sent
to the monitoring system; thus achieving the desired result.

If this is a n00b question, apologies.. I'm just getting my feet wet
with day-to-day administration of our SSG. Thanks for any assistance
or suggestions.

-brad