[j-nsp] BGP Timers Issue

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Jun 9 21:19:03 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 08:06:56AM +0800, Tony Frank wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> > During a peer migration from a Cisco 7600 over to Juniper MX480 we have run
> > across a particular peer that we cannot re-establish:
>
> > Jun 9 13:17:07 core1.toronto1 rpd[1301]: bgp_process_open:2625: NOTIFICATION
> > sent to xxx.xxx.115.132 (External AS xxxxx): code 2 (Open Message Error)
> > subcode 6 (unacceptable hold time)
>
> Have seen such an issue before, I believe JUNOS has a minimum
> acceptable hold-time.
>
> I know it used to be 20s, but maybe reduced down to 6s in more recent
> release (just checked a JUNOS 9.0S2 system)

At one point it used to be hard-coded to 6 secs, then in 7.6 it went to
a hidden command and a default of 20:

http://juniper.cluepon.net/index.php/Set_protocols_bgp_minimum-hold-time

In 9.0 it went public, it showed up in the documentation with a minimum
configurable value of 6 and a claimed default of nothing (which I would
take to mean no minimum). It was even mentioned in the release notes:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos90/swconfig-routing/minimum-hold-time.html
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos90/rn-sw-90/release-90-features.html

But the really funny part is that after 9.2 it seems to have been
disappeared again. It is completely gone from the documentation of 9.3
and beyond, and seems to have become a hidden command again:

{master}[edit]
ras at some9.6router# set protocols bgp minimum-?
No valid completions

{master}[edit]
ras at some9.6router# set protocols bgp minimum-hold-time 5
                                                      ^
value 5 is not within range (6..65535) at '5'

Sheesh guys, make up your mind. Is this really worthy of being a hidden
feature? It seems like it has caused more grief than it has helped
prevent at this point.