[j-nsp] MX80 L2TP Functions

Julien Goodwin jgoodwin at studio442.com.au
Fri Jun 11 02:25:54 EDT 2010

Have a look at the hardware guide, it's out now (finally...).

The MX80 is four XFP slots (30Gbit bandwidth), plus two MIC slots for
interfaces, all "Trio 3D" based. Alternately the two MIC slots can be
replaced by 48 10/100/1g copper ethernet ports (40Gbit bandwidth)

*NONE* of the existing MX interface cards are used.

The one bit of good news from the hardware guide is that there's a third
MIC slot (or for the fixed, *a* MIC slot) reserved for later services
MIC's on the rear panel.

The Trio chipset is meant to, eventually, support nearly all the
services that currently require an MS-DPC.

Bad news from the hardware guide is that the RE is poor. 1.2Ghz CPU and
2Gb of ram (not 100% if it can be expanded, looks so), but in a nod to
the EX4200 two 4GB *fixed* storage drives on the board. The RE is also
not a separate board from the base.

There are "cl[oc]k" and "sync" BNC's on the rear panel as well, but no
details on them, sonet clocks are as RJ45's on the front panel.

Still, all said and done I'd love one on my desk as a VPLS/etc. testbed,
much smaller then the M40e I just got rid of.