[j-nsp] Olive Qemu/GNS3 networking issue on Snow Leopard

Deon Vermeulen vermeulen.deon at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 11:16:02 EDT 2010

Hi Giany, Stefan,

Thank you both for getting back to me and for your input. I really appreciate it.

I will consider the VMWare configurations as my last and quickest resort, but I still would like to get the qemu/GNS working as I would like to do LAB testing between Cisco and Juniper without having to Tab between GNS and VMware etc..

Giany,

Can you perhaps give me a qemu config for what you have just explained?
I have tried going the tap route but for some reason TAP interfaces just doesn't want to work on my machine.
I have TunTap package from http://tuntaposx.sourceforge.net/ installed on my machine, but still no luck.

Here is output I get when running image with tap:

DeonV-MBPro:JNCIP DeonV$ qemu R1.img -m 96 -nographic -daemonize -serial telnet::2001,server,nowait -localtime -net nic,vlan=1,macaddr=00:aa:00:60:00:01,model=e1000 -net tap,vlan=1,ifname=tap0,script=no
warning: could not open /dev/tap: no virtual network emulation
qemu: Could not initialize device 'tap'
DeonV-MBPro:JNCIP DeonV$ ls /dev/tap
tap0   tap1   tap10  tap11  tap12  tap13  tap14  tap15  tap2   tap3   tap4   tap5   tap6   tap7   tap8   tap9
DeonV-MBPro:JNCIP DeonV$ ls /dev/tap

Thank you again for your guidance.

Kind Regards

Deon Vermeulen