[j-nsp] ISIS Routing Problem

Dan Evans pzdevans at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 21:04:32 EDT 2010

Eric,

Since R1 and R2 are L1/L2 routers they'll each always prefer the L1 route
over the L2 route due to default route preference. It's an interesting
situation for sure. Removing the loopback from L1 isolates R1 and R2 from
advertising their loopbacks to R3 and R4, but with the loopback enabled for
Level 1 you'll always get the long path for R1 to R2 traffic.

 Do you require R1 and R2 to have L2 enabled on the R1--R2 link? You could
turn off L2 on that link and it should give you the result I think you're
expecting. R1 and R2 and still be L1/L2 or L2 only with any other upstream
routers to keep L2 continuity with any routers not in your original
topology.