[j-nsp] ospfv3 - JUNOS sends zero mtu in dbd -> stuck in ExStart

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Thu Jun 17 17:33:11 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:46:51PM +0200, Volker D. Pallas wrote:
> I've read the RFC now and you're right.

I'm not so sure anymore. A fellow reader has challenged my
interpretation of the RFC wording, that it might mean "OSPF virtual
links", not tunnel (and similar virtual, non-physical) interfaces.
Upon re-reading with that interpretation in mind, I tend to agree.

Thinking further about it, mtu=0 for OSPF virtual links makes sense, as
only OSPF PDUs are being tunnelled, no actual traffic. So there is no
sensible MTU to report in the DBD packets. On real tunneling interfaces
though, everything (OSPF PDUs and actual traffic) gets tunnelled, and
the tunnel has a real MTU associated.

So in fact, I think my interpretation was wrong and JUNOS is actually
misbehaving by advertising MTU=0. It should report the tunnel interface
L3 MTU.

Sorry for the noise. I suggest raising a case with JTAC and closing off
the Quagga bug filing.

BTW, I noticed your Linux tunnel interface being named "gre-nc" - I
guess the "gre" part is a leftover misnomer from trying GRE encaps?

Best regards from Porz to Porz,
Daniel