[j-nsp] ospfv3 - JUNOS sends zero mtu in dbd -> stuck in ExStart

Addy Mathur addy.mathur at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 10:46:08 EDT 2010

I ran into this a few years ago.  Even without going into the JUNOS
implementation (they will probably tell you that this is
"works-as-designed", and that this was a conscious decision), this
should not cause an issue in the OSPF session establishment.

Per RFC 2328 section 10.6,

"        If the Interface MTU field in the Database Description packet
        indicates an IP datagram size that is larger than the router can
        accept on the receiving interface without fragmentation, the
        Database Description packet is rejected.  Otherwise, if the
        neighbor state is:
        ExStart
            If the received packet matches one of the following cases,
            then the neighbor state machine should be executed with the
            event NegotiationDone (causing the state to transition to
            Exchange)...
"

Theoretically, MTU=0 would imply that the DBD packets should always be
received/processed, and thereby *not* cause any interop concerns.

--Addy.