[j-nsp] EX4200 "Notprsnt" VC members after reboot (filesystem corruption)

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Sun Jun 20 11:39:37 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 04:35:40PM +1000, Dale Shaw wrote:
> Has anyone had problems with EX4200s and filesystem corruption
> relating to ungraceful power-downs, routine reboots (i.e. for JUNOS
> upgrades or whatever), or anything else? Does anyone know of any
> tricks to access a switch in this state remotely? (unfortunately there
> is no out-of-band management path available).
>
> A re-install of JUNOS (from a JUNOS tgz located in a USB flash disk)
> typically 'fixes' the problem. A power cycle is not enough.

Remote console access is needed to fix this.  If you can at least
connect all the VC member management ethernet ports together with a
separate OOB switch along with a Console Server connected to all VC
member console ports, even if the OOB network is trunked back to your
location through an in-band VLAN, you might be able to recover from
this remotely.  When I was in this situation recently the corrupted
member switch was able to boot enough to be able to FTP JUNOS via OOB
from another VC member switch.