[j-nsp] High Memory Utilization on J2350

Richmond, Jeff Jeff.Richmond at frontiercorp.com
Wed Jun 23 09:50:45 EDT 2010

Quick way is to set mpls to packet-based which essentially makes the router packet-based as well (so you'll need to go back to standard firewall filters for router protection). I have about 60 or so RPM probes running on this J2350:

jeff at RPM01.xxxx> show configuration security
forwarding-options {
    family {
        mpls {
            mode packet-based;
        }
    }
}

jeff at RPM01.xxxx> show chassis routing-engine
Routing Engine status:
    Temperature                 26 degrees C / 78 degrees F
    CPU temperature             24 degrees C / 75 degrees F
    Total memory              1024 MB Max   635 MB used ( 62 percent)
      Control plane memory     594 MB Max   321 MB used ( 54 percent)
      Data plane memory        430 MB Max   310 MB used ( 72 percent)
    CPU utilization:
      User                      27 percent
      Real-time threads         14 percent
      Kernel                    15 percent
      Idle                      44 percent
    Model                          RE-J2350-2500
    Serial ID                      xxxxxxxxxxxx
    Start time                     2010-04-22 17:56:59 PDT
    Uptime                         61 days, 20 hours, 45 minutes, 2 seconds
    Last reboot reason             0x10:misc hardware reason
    Load averages:                 1 minute   5 minute  15 minute
                                       0.32       0.28       0.25

Hope this helps,
-Jeff