[j-nsp] Templates for logging from EX series

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Jun 23 16:26:06 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 12:57:17PM -0700, Curtis Call wrote:

> > > But Juniper - pretty please: We *really* need a simple method to be
> > > able to match UP and DOWN events and not drown in useless trash.
> >
> > Seconded.
>
> It is possible to re-log syslog messages at a different severity level
> using an event script. For an example see pages 73-75 of this PDF:
>
> http://www.juniper.net/us/en/local/pdf/day-one-guides/7100110-en.pdf
>
> The syslog facility would be identical and the text would be the same
> except that "cscript:" would be prepended.
>
> Would that work in your scenario?

Neat, I've been complaining about this issue for ages and nobody ever
mentioned this was an option. :) But wouldn't it be so much easier if
you could just change the event priority/etc directly in the event
policy?

Managing priorities is pretty dynamic, and uploading/managing/syncing
revisions of slax scripts is a giant pain in the ass already. I'd really
rather not have to hard-code the new priority mapping into a slax
script, when it makes far more sense to do it in the event policy.