[j-nsp] Strange IS-IS Problem

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon Mar 8 16:30:50 EST 2010

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 01:43:57PM -0700, Sergio D. wrote:
> Only the first few hellos are padded, please see link from Jeff Doyle's ISIS
> OSPF book:
>
> http://gyazo.com/1b872a14f35bd27f859a722ecc3849c5.png
>
> (I have a hard copy of that book as well)

Of course most people claim isis hello padding is deprecated, including
Juniper. :)

http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog19/presentations/katz.ppt

Also, turning on isis point-to-point also eliminates all of that DR
election nonsense as well as getting rid of the pesky multicast hello
packets which occasionally break things, but it's always a pain to
remember to turn it on. Personally I wish there was just an interface
unit level "point-to-point" flag you could set that told all associated
protocols this was a p2p even if it's over ethernet.