[j-nsp] netflow v9 on a Juniper MX

Chris Tracy ctracy at es.net
Tue Mar 9 09:53:36 EST 2010

Hi Matjaž,

You are correct that the MS-DPC cards are needed for NetFlow v9 functionality.  I believe that you also need a software license to activate this feature once you obtain the MS-DPC.  My understanding is that an MS-PIC (and s/w license) is needed for NFv9 on M- and T-series routers.  Others on the list, please correct me if I'm wrong, as I am also interested in this topic.  Some documentation seems to indicate it can be done with an AS-PIC, but I was informed that an MS-PIC was required.

NetFlow v5 is a fixed-record format, while NetFlow v9 is template based -- see the diagram at the bottom of http://is.gd/a2mha, and also see http://is.gd/a2p30.  Although the flexibility of NFv9 is nice, the overhead must be significantly higher than NFv5.  I'm guessing that this is the reason that only up to NFv5 is supported on the REs, but I'd like to know what others think.

Cheers,
-Chris