[j-nsp] RFC2544 on Juniper MX960 10G ports

Alex alex.arseniev at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 17:04:56 EDT 2010

Chris,
Line rate on one 10G port could be different from line-rate on another 10G
port because Ethernet is not bit-synchronous.
LAN-PHY 10GBASE-S allowed transmitter clock tolerance is 10.3125Gbd +/1
100ppm (parts per million) and LAN-PHY 10GBASE-S allowed receiver clock
tolerance is also 10.3125Gbd +/- 100ppm. See IEEE 802.3-2008 spec sections
52.5.1 and 52.5.2.
So in reality the Rx on ingress port could run at 10.31353125Gbd and Tx on
egress port could run at 10.31146875Gbd. This 0.0020625Gbd=2.0625Mbd
difference causes ingress buffer to grow until there is no more room and
eventually an "overspill" and packet drop. Please run Your tests at 99% line
rate, I am sure there will be no packet loss at all.
Rgds
Alex