[j-nsp] Trunking on SRX

Brad Fleming bdfleming at kanren.net
Mon Mar 15 12:26:07 EDT 2010

Be mindful of the software version you are using. We stumbled across a
problem on the SRX240 (different class of device, I know). When we
SNMP querry a VLAN interface, there was a memory leak. Over time, it
caused all control plane memory to be consumed. When that happened,
the SRX would stop learning new ARP entries and all kinds of things
broke.

We were running Junos 9.6R2 when we first saw the issue. I believe
9.6R3 has a fix for the issue. I'm not sure what (if any) versions of
10.x are impacted.

I'd suggest building one box with your VLAN configuration and watching
it for 3-4 weeks. Just be sure to point your supporting systems at it
as well. If you suddenly start seeing a log message similar to this,
get worried:
/kernel: kmem type tlv_stat using 143048K, exceeding limit 91352K
--
Brad Fleming