[j-nsp] mysterious microbursts ?

Alexandre Snarskii snar at snar.spb.ru
Tue Mar 16 08:56:03 EDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 01:18:39PM +0000, chrisccnpspam2 at gmail.com wrote:
> One thing I would check for first is unicast flooding.  It sounds like
> the backup router is flooding all traffic as it doesn't have any arp/mac
> tables created for traffic that comes ingress to it. Would be hard to
> pinpoint the issue unless you can provide some traffic flow stats.
>
> Unicast flooding is a common problem with active/backup switching
> environments. If this is the case we can work on modifying the mac
> and arp timers to resolve it.
>
> Hope this helps

Thanks, you described my problem mostly exactly, with the only
difference: actually my backup router had correct arp table, with
default arp aging-time of 20min, but mac-table-aging-time on second
core switch was (by default) just 300sec, so in five minutes after
backup router passive-learned some arp entry switch had to flood traffic
in unknown-unicast mode, thus affecting only ports on "even" access-switches.

Thanks again.