[j-nsp] Routing-Instance Removal Memory Savings

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Mar 17 14:32:40 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:27:11PM -0400, Jose Madrid wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a customer who is using a routing-instance per provider on an
> M7i.  There is no real reason for this doing this and he only has it
> this way due to a previous consultant who decided that would be best.
> The box is running hot and sits at 93% memory utilization.  I am
> trying to calculate the memory savings from removing the
> routing-instance and just incorporating the routes into the main
> instance, which is being done by policy anyway.  Any idea how I can
> find out a real number savings or a percentage? Here is the output of
> a "show route instance".  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thank
> you.

$10 says I can guess who the consultant was. :)

There isn't exactly an easy way to calculate it, but I think you'd be
pretty safe ballparking it at "a couple hundred megs". You'd still have
the same total number of paths and adj ribs, but you'd be eliminating
two complete ribs worth of extra routes... ~200MB sounds pretty
realistic, *maybe* more depending on the number of attributes
(communities, etc) and how your multipath config works out.