[j-nsp] EX 8200 deployment

Alexandre Snarskii snar at snar.spb.ru
Mon Mar 22 16:35:19 EDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 02:16:36PM -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 05:31:38PM +0300, Alexandre Snarskii wrote:
> > I suppose you can use good old "hairpin cable" trick to have both
> > egress policers (converted to ingress ones on "switched" side of
> > hairpin) and counters on Vlan's (actually on subinterfaces on "routed"
> > side).  Not checked with ex-82xx, but it works for ex-[34]200.
>
> I'm trying to picture the exact configuration you're talking about, but
> I'm not sure I get it. If you hairpined a trunk port, wouldn't you still
> have to configure the layer 2 vlans on the other side to do anything
> with them, and wouldn't they then be the same vlans as the originals?

EX-series (at least [34]200) has the same "local vlan significance"
principle that applies, for example, to OSM-equipped 6500/Sup2:
"you can create chassis-wide vlan, and it will be used on all LAN
cards, but you still can reuse the same vlan id on OSM subinterface",
and the idea is actually stolen from some old recipe on "how to run
6500/sup2 Vlan as a part of VRF".
In case of ex-series it's even better - there are no 'internal vlan'
allocation that happens in case of 65xx/76xx.

> Or were you saying that when you do a subinterface style it doesn't
> actually use the vlan chassis-wide like it would if you did this
> subinterface style config on a 6509 for example, and you were
> proposing this:

Yes, you got the idea.