[j-nsp] EX 8200 deployment

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Mar 25 19:44:15 EDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 09:51:20AM -0700, Jonathan Lassoff wrote:
> In looking at the EX platforms though, this doesn't seem in line with
> Juniper's design goals though (not that I actually know what they
> planned). It seems like most of the hardware ('cept the EX-8200) comes
> in a fixed configuration -- stuff that's just supposed to "work", and
> not to worry the manuf. with compatibility concerns.
>
> If you're feeling gutsy and want to void any warranties, you might try
> de-soldering and replacing the internal flash :)

8200 is fixed configuration too.

da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <ST ST72682 2.10> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
da0: 2000MB (4096000 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 254C)

Same device as on EX3200/4200, just bigger.

Looks to be an embedded USB->Flash controller with non-modular flash.

http://www.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/12029.pdf

I've taken a soldering iron to many a router and switch in my day to
"correct" design flaws, but I don't think that will work out here. Those
5mm USB flash units stuffed into the usb port on the front seem to be
the best option for making something that at least won't get bumped or
stolen in the datacenter, but I can't find them shipping yet either.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/24/buffalos-16gb-5mm-usb-thumbkey-its-really-small/

Then again, I have some promotional Cisco USB drives that might look
good sticking out of the box like a giant wart too. :)