[j-nsp] JNCIE-ER

Stefan Fouant sfouant at shortestpathfirst.net
Sat Mar 27 19:34:56 EDT 2010

Well I just took the exam yesterday and I don't want to count my chickens
before they hatch, but I feel that I did pretty good so here is a quick
synopsis of what I used for the exam:

- 'JUNOS Enterprise Routing' by Harry Reynolds and Doug Marschke.  Read it
twice if you can :)
- 'Advanced Juniper Networks Routing in the Enterprise' courseware and labs
which can be found on the Juniper FastTrack site.  I definitely recommend
going through the labs because they are extremely representative of the
types of things that you are likely to see on the exam.
- 'Adaptive Services' chapter in the JUNOS 'Services Interfaces
Configuration Guide' - its 500 pages but will definitely school you on all
the variants of JUNOS Services
- The 'JNCIP-M Study Guide' by Harry Reynolds is another really useful
addition if you can go through that book and do the labs this will really
help with routing policy and configuration of OSPF, RIP, and BGP.
- In addition to reading the above and getting a good strong foundational
level of understanding, I would say the *single* most useful preparation tip
I can give to anyone is to take the JNCIE-ER Bootcamp and/or the Remote
Proctored lab exams offered by Proteus Networks.  I haven't personally taken
the bootcamp, but I did see the materials from a colleague who sat through
it and after sitting the exam I can tell you that Bootcamp is spot on.  I
did however take their Remote Proctored exams and once again I am not
disappointed with my experience with them.  Rick Schenderlein was my proctor
with Proteus and he really took the time to help me understand the areas
that I could use improvement on.  Their products are truly a notch above and
will more than prepare you to sit the exam.  These are the guys who "wrote
the book" in more ways than one with the JNCIE-ER... their offerings should
be considered insurance... you're already shelling out some pretty big bucks
to sit the exam, why not do yourself the favor and take a look at what they
have to offer - http://www.proteus.net

All in all, I didn't think the exam was that tough, but I also have 12+
years of experience working with JUNOS and I also have a JNCIE-M.  I
actually finished the exam in a little over 5 hours and spent another 1-2
hours going over everything just to make sure I had it right.  I've heard
that most people going in are pretty much down to the wire with time so I'm
not sure what happened in my case but I hope I can attribute it to just
being over-prepared.

Oh one other tip, thanks Addy for passing this on to me - make sure you read
the full exam in its entirety before starting a single configuration
element.  This is truly an expert level exam, one which requires you to
think through your design decisions.  There are often things later on in the
exam that might require you to go back and reconfigure something you've set
up in an earlier section.  Reading ahead will allow you to save yourself
some time when you've thought your design through fully in advance.

I'll let you know in a few days when I receive my pass/fail status...

Stefan Fouant, CISSP, JNCIE-M/T
www.shortestpathfirst.net
GPG Key ID: 0xB5E3803D