[j-nsp] What's the latest code you're running on a mx?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat May 1 06:41:05 EDT 2010

On Saturday 01 May 2010 04:01:38 am Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> chassisd[1305]: %DAEMON-3-UI_CONFIGURATION_ERROR:
>  Process: chassisd, path: [edit groups BASE-FORWARDING
>  forwarding-options hash-key family], statement: inet6,
>  Could not retrieve the route-accounting setting

We've been getting this error for a while now (well, we've
seen it since JUNOS 9.3R2.8), although if you're still seeing
it now, it's possible it could have appeared much earlier.

This is what we get on commit:

tinka at lab# commit
[edit forwarding-options family]
  'inet6'
    Could not retrieve the route-accounting setting
commit complete

[edit]
tinka at lab#

The following goes into the log file:

May  1 18:29:58  lab chassisd[4452]: UI_CONFIGURATION_ERROR: Process: chassisd, path: [edit forwarding-options family], statement: inet6,
Could not retrieve the route-accounting setting

We started seeing this ever since we decided to have
some 'forwarding options' for the IPv6 protocol, as
the log also indicates.

It doesn't cause any problems, but needs explaining to new
NOC folk who think they've thrown the network into a
hole when they update router configurations.

In hindsight, I probably should have opened a JTAC
case for this :-).

> Which would just be annoying/log filling, if not for the
>  fact that netconf interprets it as a hard error and
>  rolls back the remotely triggered commit.

Ouch!

> Considering you need 10.1 to run the new MX Trio cards,
>  and 10.2 to make them interoperate with older DPCs in
>  the same chassis, I expect a lot of people are going to
>  be very unhappy very soon when they're forced to
>  upgrade. :)

One of the reasons I'm wary about buying an MX80 now, given
that it requires the JUNOS 10.x family of code, which still
appears moody, for all intents and purposes - but what can
you do?

Mark.