[j-nsp] JUNOS 10.1 on EX

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon May 10 15:57:34 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 11:58:02AM +0200, Jeroen wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Where would I be able to find 10.1R2, since I can find it online
> (http://www.juniper.net/support/)
>
> Most recent version there is 10.1R1.8 of 14 feb 2010 (which we are
> already running in lab currently)

You can ask JTAC for a prerelease version or a daily build if you need
to work around specific issues, but generally speaking I'd recommend you
just wait for the official release which is due soon.

Basically what happens is they have a scheduled time that they want to
put out a release, and when that time rolls around they grab a snapshot
of the branch in question and declare that to be the #.#R#.0 build. They
then put this build through a bunch of regression tests to make sure
they haven't broken something, and then when they do find a problem they
fix it, bump the version to #.#R#.1, and start the process over again.
Eventually they get to a version which they declare not to suck (though
some of us will beg to differ :P), and that is the version that gets put
up on the website. Since it isn't on the website yet, it must have been
delayed for some reason (I can tell you 10.1R2.4 had the AFL licensing
completely broken on EX, if that counts as a reason :P). I'm not sure
what the current release schedule is, but it can't be too much longer,
and there are some pretty serious problems in 10.1S1.