[j-nsp] ERROR: Can't access hard disk

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed May 12 21:50:28 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 05:40:13PM -0600, Onam Rubio wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I tried to partition the hard-disk, but I have an error.
>
> onam at Cale> request system partition hard-disk
> mount: /dev/ad1s1e : No such file or directory
> ERROR: Can't access hard disk, aborting partition.
>
> onam at Cale> show system boot-messages | match "ad0|ad1"
> ad0: Device does not support APM
> ad0: 977MB <SanDisk SDCFH-1024 HDX 4.07> at ata0-master PIO4
> ad1: not attached, missing in Boot List
> device_attach: ad1 attach returned 12
> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a

When the router detects an error with one of the drives, it will remove
it from the boot list (a custom juniper bios setting). This keeps the OS
from even seeing the drive the next time it boots, so a bad drive can't
cause the router to stall or crash. This is probably what happened in
your case, since ad1 isn't in your boot list.

If you want to readd it (to see if its actually broken), drop to shell,
su to root, and do:

sysctl -w machdep.bootdevs=whatever

i.e. take your current bootdevs and add "disk" (the ad1), or whatever
you want to do.