[j-nsp] IBGP in RR

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun May 16 07:12:19 EDT 2010

On Sunday 16 May 2010 05:38:59 pm Humair Ali wrote:

> Hi Mark
>
> I think it is best to have the IBGP session between the
>  RR in a different ibgp session.

That's what I said when I was replying to the OP - iBGP
sessions between route reflectors in a cluster would
typically be implemented "outside" the cluster.

I mentioned that JUNOS would permit route reflectors
"seeing" each other as clients, but prevent routing loops
through the CLUSTER_LIST attribute. This, I imagine, would
not be a typical implementation, as I indicated.

>  IBGP Session 1 with R1 , R2 and RR1 (1st cluster)
> IBGP Session 2  with R1 , R2 and RR2  (2nd cluster)

Some operators run both route reflectors in the same PoP in
separate clusters.

I'm on the other end of that rope - provided the route
reflectors serve client routers in the same PoP, they live
in the same cluster. Route reflectors located in other
PoP's, if any, would live in separate clusters, with full
iBGP mesh setup among all route reflectors in the network.

Cheers,

Mark.