[j-nsp] AC-DC converter question

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon May 17 14:11:58 EDT 2010

> From: "OnePacket - Scott" <scott at onepacket.com>
> Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 13:09:03 -0400
> Sender: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
>
> Hi Everybody,
>
> I have a question and was hoping somebody could point me in the right
> direction, I searched around but couldn't find any satisfying solution.
>
> We have a Juniper T320 router (comes with dual DC power supplies at -48VDC)
> which in the current configuration needs around 40A / 1900W.
> The facility where this unit will be located does not offer DC power so we
> need some sort of AC->DC converter.
> Any ideas where I can buy such a converter?

What you need are rectifiers and they are available from most of the
companies that do power system (UPS, PDS, etc.) Many have interfaces to
allow you to monitor/control them remotely. (You want these to be REALLY
secure.) The are generally rack-mounted and not real cheap.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)