[j-nsp] Error BGP RECV Notification code 2 (Open Message Error) subcode 7 (unsupported capability)

khagendra dhakal khagubrt at gmail.com
Fri May 21 01:31:14 EDT 2010

Hi Chuck,

I  applied the command (hidden/ undocumented) and it worked.

 M10i already has many peers that support *2 byte asn only* and is running
without any issues, but *why it is not able to negotiate with Maipu to make
the peer up without disabling the 4byte asn capability*.

ASFAIK, 4 byte ASN or AS4_PATH is an optional transitive attribute unlike
AS_PATH mandatory attribute. My asmuntion is BGP new_speaker may send
AS4_PATH to its neighbor an OPEN message with capability check, if fail it
should have to use AS_PATH or 2 byte to negotiate to its OLD-BGP speakers
and  make the peer up.

*The question is why JunOs failed with Maipu ?
*
Thank you,
Khagendra Dhakal