[j-nsp] EX-4200 Firewall Filter Placement

Emil Katzarski ekatzarski at gmail.com
Tue May 25 07:20:36 EDT 2010

Hi,

Placing the firewall filter at the L3 interface will not affect any
traffic traversing the switch! As I understand there is only one VLAN
and only one L3 interface. That means that there is no L3 routing for
user traffic. All user traffic is forwarded via Ethernet switching.
Only traffic for the switch itself will be affected.

The place to put firewall filter to protect the control plane of the
switch is lo0. If you would like to filter transit traffic you should
place the firewall filter at the interfaces or on the VLAN.