[j-nsp] routing updates between PFEs and Kernal

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Nov 3 13:20:06 EDT 2010

On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 02:00:11PM +0500, Good One wrote:

> We started using MX-480 and I came to know that each DPC has four
> PFEs. Now a question comes to mind that how the chemistry of routing
> updates in between PFEs and RE(kernel) is being done. If kernel routes
> are being exported to PFEs, does it means that each PFE contains a
> full routing table? So if you have five DPCs than you have 20 PFEs and
> you are exporting kernel routes to all 20 PFEs and each PFEs is having
> a best route in the forwarding table.

Yes each PFE has a complete copy of the routing table and makes the
routing decision for ingress packets, this is how distributed forwarding
works. I suspect what actually happens is the kernel sends it's routing
table (krt) to the CPU on the DPC, which then programs the individual
PFEs on the card (4 per DPC), but I don't work for Juniper or anything
so I have no special knowledge about their implementation.

There is also a fair amount of work that goes into locking and
verification of the routes, to ensure that every PFE has a consistent
view. Otherwise, you risk creating micro forwarding loops with every
route update, or worse macro forwarding loops aka Cisco Customer
Enragement Feature. :)