[j-nsp] MX80 max MAC addresses

Sven Juergensen (KielNET) s.juergensen at kielnet.de
Thu Nov 4 06:24:16 EDT 2010

Hi Hendrik,

you put it exactly right: "according to the documentation".
I am not sure about how much trust can be put into a
general specsheet when it comes to this matter. Erroneous
copy&paste jobs, lack of communication etc potentially
fubar things up real fast. Also, to be glared upon by one's
peers and executives because one took this datasheet for
real (especially after the initially very thin information
about the MX80 platform in general), only to stumble across
some hidden restriction *after* deploying a sizeable amount
of those boxes seems, well, risky.

Guess I'll forward this to our sales reps.

Thanks and cheers,

	sven03

On 11/4/10 10:51 AM, Hendrik Kahmann wrote:
> Hi Sven,
>
> according to the documentation there is no difference between the different MX-Platforms: They all hold up to 1 Million MAC-Addresses.
>
> "With support for up to 1 million MAC addresses and 64,000 VLANs, the MX Series delivers industry-leading scale for Layer 2 VPNs."
>
> Source: http://www.juniper.net/us/en/local/pdf/datasheets/1000208-en.pdf
>

> Kind regards from Oldenburg,
>
> Hendrik
>

> i. A. Hendrik Kahmann
> B.Sc. Wirtschaftsinformatik
> Planung - Technische Produktentwicklung
> Telefon: +49 441 8000 2778
> mailto:hendrik.kahmann at ewetel.de
>
> EWE TEL GmbH
> Cloppenburger Str. 310
> 26133 Oldenburg
>
> Handelsregister Amtsgericht Oldenburg HRB 3723
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Heiko Harms
> Geschäftsführung: Hans-Joachim Iken (Vorsitzender), Dr. Norbert Schulz, Dirk Thole, Ulf Heggenberger
> Homepage: http://www.ewetel.de
>

> Am 04.11.2010 um 08:19 schrieb Sven Juergensen (KielNET):
>
> Hi list,
>
> does the general limit of 1 million MAC
> addresses per MX chassis hold true for
> the MX80 as well?