[j-nsp] SRX100/2x0 as small MPLS CPE?

Abel Alejandro aalejandro at worldnetpr.com
Mon Nov 15 12:19:40 EST 2010

> On 15/11/10 15:40, Abel Alejandro wrote:
>

> >> This interests me: we have several sites on 100Mbit LES/WEES
> circuits,
> >> and I have a vision of planting on at site with:
> >>
> >>    1. port 1 - MPLS /31
> >>    2. port 2 - EoMPLS xconnect
> >
> > We use the SRX210 for l2circuits, VPLS and VRF without issues.
> However
> > the limitations mentioned in the thread "MPLS in the Access" need to
> be
> > taken on consideration, especially for the VPLS services.
>
> Can you be more specific? The thread got pretty big, with a lot of it
> taken up with hinting/wink-wink about some "mystery box" that may or
> may
> not be Russian which does this job.
>
> I didn't find any specific mention of SRX platform limits in that
> thread.

I do not have the original message but I saved the limitations,
Shameless copy/paste below:

* J Series or SRX Series devices do not support aggregated Ethernet
      interfaces. Therefore, aggregated Ethernet interfaces between CE
      devices and PE routers are not supported for VPLS routing
      instances on J Series or SRX Series devices.
    * VPLS routing instances on J Series or SRX Series devices use BGP
      to send signals to other PE routers. LDP signaling is not
supported.
    * VPLS multihoming, which allows connecting a CE device to multiple
      PE routers to provide redundant connectivity, is not supported on
      J Series or SRX Series devices.
    * J Series or SRX Series devices do not support BGP mesh groups.
    * J Series or SRX Series devices support only the following
      encapsulation types on VPLS interfaces that face CE devices:
      extended VLAN VPLS, Ethernet VPLS, and VLAN VPLS. Ethernet VPLS
      over ATM LLC encapsulation is not supported.
    * Virtual ports are generated dynamically on a Tunnel Services PIC
      on some Juniper Networks routing platforms. J Series or SRX Series
      devices do not support Tunnel Services modules or virtual ports.
    * The VPLS implementation on J Series or SRX Series devices does not
      support dual-tagged frames. Therefore, VLAN rewrite operations are
      not supported on dual-tagged frames. VLAN rewrite operations such
      as pop-pop, pop-swap, push-push, swap-push, and swap-swap, which
      are supported on M Series and T Series routing platforms, are not
      supported on J Series or SRX Series devices.
    * Firewall filters for VPLS are not supported.