[j-nsp] Microsoft NLB cluster with EX-series

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+j-nsp at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 05:16:04 EST 2010

Hi all,

For the record, we ended up putting the server interfaces
participating in NLB in dedicated VLANs. We have 4 NLB clusters across
4 physical servers so we ended up with 4 new VLANs each with 2 member
switch ports.

This seems to be a fairly common workaround to limit the spread of
flooded traffic (which, of course, is expected with NLB).

There still seems to be a bad NLB/EX-series interaction which could be
caused by one of the many multicast bugs fixed in 10.0S10 but I
haven't yet had time to confirm. IGMP snooping shouldn't have to be
disabled to make this work.

Cheers,
Dale