[j-nsp] Problems with EX4200

Richard A Steenbegen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Nov 18 23:11:41 EST 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 10:19:14PM -0200, Giuliano Cardozo Medalha wrote:
> People,
>
> We have here one EX4200 running BGP and virtual routers.
>
> It is logging to me the following error.
>
> J-TAC said this is a software error.

The PREFIX ADD failure messages mean the route didn't get added to the
FIB, most likely because you exhausted the capacity on the box (EX4200's
only do around 12k ipv4 unicast routes in hw). Later on when a withdraw
comes along that removes the route, you get the PREFIX DELETE failures
because the route never got added in the first place, and thus can't be
found to remove it.

It's a pretty nasty way to log it, as it's unclear to users, floods the
logs with lots of junk messages, and it doesn't even tell you which
prefix couldn't be added. They could probably do it a better way, but
hey at least it doesn't disable CEF and force every packet to be process
switched like Cisco does when you fill the FIB. :)