[j-nsp] Data Plane Memory in JUNOS 10.3R1.9

Lawrence Wong lawrencewong72 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 21 20:14:41 EST 2010

Hi everyone,

I'm currently testing out a J4350 in my lab and it's running on the latest
10.3R1.9.

I noticed that after even I've configured the J4350 to run in Packet Mode
(Security deleted and MPLS enabled and configured), the IDP modules seems to be
taking up between 31MB - 204MB of data plane memory.

root> show security idp status
State of IDP: Disabled,

Packets/second: 0               Peak: 0
KBits/second  : 0               Peak: 0
Latency (microseconds): [min: 0] [max: 0] [avg: 0]

Packet Statistics:
 [ICMP: 0] [TCP: 0] [UDP: 0] [Other: 0]

Flow Statistics:
  ICMP: [Current: 0] [Max: 0 ]
  TCP: [Current: 0] [Max: 0 ]
  UDP: [Current: 0] [Max: 0 ]
  Other: [Current: 0] [Max: 0 ]

Session Statistics:
 [ICMP: 0] [TCP: 0] [UDP: 0] [Other: 0]
  Policy Name : none

root> show security idp memory

    IDP data plane memory statistics:

  Total IDP data plane memory : 204 MB
                         Used : 31 MB ( 31744 KB ) ( 15.20%)
                    Available : 173 MB ( 177152 KB ) ( 84.80%)

Does anyone know how I can really "remove" the IDP modules and free up data
plane memory?

At the same time, I also noticed that the data plane memory is currently set at
576MB unlike earlier JUNOS (non-ES) 9.3 versions whereby memory was
reported/used as a lump sum and not specifically broken down.

Routing Engine status:
    Temperature                 26 degrees C / 78 degrees F
    CPU temperature             41 degrees C / 105 degrees F
    Total memory              2048 MB Max  1434 MB used ( 70 percent)
      Control plane memory    1472 MB Max   927 MB used ( 63 percent)
      Data plane memory        576 MB Max   507 MB used ( 88 percent)

Would it be possible to increase the amount of data plane memory allocated?

TIA!