[j-nsp] weird MTU size on "show interface"

Michel de Nostredame d.nostra at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 01:26:01 EDT 2010

Hi,

I was checking my EX4200 trying to resolve a strange connection
problem with my vendor through a Metro Ethernet.
During that time I found another weird situation (it is not related to
the metroEthernet connection).

I setup two topology to test

EX4200.ae0 ===(LACP,trunk)=== ae0.M10

On above setup, the interface link-level MTU on EX4200 side (interface
ae0) shows MTU 1514. But on M10 the interface link-level MTU shows
1518.
The 1518 is what I expect to have as a VLAN trunk interface should be.

However, I do able to ping each other with size at 1472 (i.e. Ethernet
Tagged Frame Size at 1518).

Is there anyone have similar experience on your EX4200 switches? Is
that simply a bug or it is designed to be that way?

Thanks,
--
Michel~